Native Applications on Joli OS and Problem Solving
Joli OS is a Linux Distro brought to us by JoliCloud, even though it's based on HTML5, it will allow us install Linux Native Applications. We have 3 choices to make this happen:
- Install the program via a .deb package is the easiest choice since we only need to download and install.
- Install via third parties like "Ubuntu Tweaks"
- Add the repositories is our last choice. A simple app-add will not work so you'll have to do it this way:
- Go to the PPA main site of the software you want to add (For example: https://launchpad.net/~vala-team/+arc...) Inside there should be a link that says "Technical details about this PPA" in green color.
- By pressing it, there should be a button to select your Ubuntu version, Joli OS is based on "Lucid".
- Copy those links in you ubuntu.list, in order to do so, open it with this command:
- $ sudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ubuntu.list
- Paste the links, save it and close it. Update your repositories:
- sudo apt-get update
- With this, you've added the repositories and we only need to install it.
- Open the software installer with this command:
- $ sudo synaptic
- Look up for your software and install it.
Sadly Joli OS has been discontinued, however you can still download and try this awesome distribution (Which I really recommend, or install it's environment in Ubuntu) .
If you install Joli OS in a new computer it's likely for you to note that the VGA port is not working, however it is working, it's just that it does not recognise the external screen unless you have it connected since the boot. This is a problem with the Kernel version.